UK - Mexico Visiting Chair: Mobility Grants
Call for Applications
UK - Mexico Visiting Chair: Mobility Grants
The Consortium of Higher Education Institutions that are part of the United Kingdom-Mexico Visiting Chair (UK-MX Visiting Chair)
Researchers who hold a doctorate degree in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) or Social Sciences and Humanities, and have an appointment at any of the Higher Education Institutions (HEI’s) that are part of the UK-MX Visiting Chair to undertake an academic stay at any of the HEI’s that form part of the consortium, and that are established in the United Kingdom (for Mexican participants) or Mexico (for British participants).
I. About the UK-MX Visiting Chair
In an effort to increase research collaboration and strengthen relations between HEI’s in Mexico and the United Kingdom, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed in November 2015 to establish the UK-MX Visiting Chair. The Visiting Chair provides successful applicants with mobility funding for a research visit of up to two weeks to visit a new potential collaborator in the UK or Mexico.
II. Members of the UK-MX Visiting Chair
The UK-MX Visiting Chair consists of 12 Mexican HEI’s and 12 British HEI’s listed in alphabetical order:
- Bristol University
- Durham University
- King's College London
- University College London
- University of Birmingham
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Leeds
- University of Nottingham
- University of Manchester
- University of Sheffield
- University of Southampton
- University of Warwick
- Autonomous Metropolitan University (UAM)
- Autonomous University of Baja California (UABC)
- Autonomous University of Nuevo León (UANL)
- Autonomous University of the State of Mexico (UAEM)
- Autonomous University of Yucatan (UADY)
- Iberoamericana University (UIA)
- Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education (ITESM)
- National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)
- National Polytechnic Institute (IPN)
- University of Guadalajara (UDG)
- University of Guanajuato (UG)
- University of the Americas Puebla (UDLAP)
III. Permitted Activities
Activities accepted and encouraged under the UK-MX Visiting Chair include: Attendance at workshops, research symposia, and conferences as well as meetings to scope collaboration, share best practise or develop new initiatives.
One candidate and one reserve will be selected from each of Mexico's institutions, a total of 12 candidates and 12 reserves who will represent the Mexican HEI in the United Kingdom. Similarly, one candidate and one reserve will be selected from each British institution, a total of 12 candidates and 12 reserves who will represent the British HEI in Mexico.
Those selected for up to 2 weeks stay will be supported with the following costs:
- International flights for academics.
- Incidental expenses for a maximum period of two weeks.
- International major medical insurance.
- Internal travel
- Space for conferences, auditoriums etc .
V. Eligibility Requirements
Researchers entitled to participate in this call must meet the following requirements:
- Have obtained a doctorate degree.
- Be employed by any of the HEI’s that are part of the consortium.
- Be nominated by their home institution.
For Mexican Applicants only:
- Evidence of English proficiency: Published papers written by the applicant in English or TOEFL and IELTS exam results.
Those applicants who have an academic degree (Bachelor, Master or Doctorate) whose language of instruction was English will not need to provide additional evidence.
VI. Obligations of the beneficiaries
- Commit and focus on the proposed visit objectives submitted with the application.
- To spend at least one week at the allocated HEI with an option to visit other HEI(s) in the second week.
- Submit a detailed report of activities completed during the visit, stating outcomes and how you propose to continue the collaboration (within one month of completing the visit in the template provided).
- Provide written feedback of any problems or challenges that the Commission must be aware of.
- Successful applicants should visit within 12 months of being awarded or before July 2017. Candidates may apply for an extension at the discretion of the commission.
- Successful applicants are responsible for ensuring they have the correct visa to travel to the UK or Mexico (dependent upon individual circumstances)
- Act as an advocate for the initiative to encourage other applicants in year two of the Visiting Chair.
VII. Application Procedure
The application must be made in English by the individual to their home institution and include the following documents:
- a. A completed research project proposal form (hyperlink to the form).
- b. Curriculum vitae including relevant publications.
Applicants will be asked to select their top 3 possible destinations for their proposed visit to Mexico - this should include confirmation of the academic/department in each institution that has agreed to host you.
Applicants should be aware that, pending finalisation of the initial selection by their home country commission and confirmation by the partner Commission (UK/Mexico), successful applicants are not guaranteed that they will be placed in one of their top 3 choices.
All documents must be submitted by email to the lead coordinator from your home institution. See Annex 1 for your institutional contact.
The deadline for submission is: 17.00, 20th May 2016
VIII. About the National Commissions
Each National Commission is comprised of one representative from each of the 12 participating HEI’s (and the Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation - AMEXCID - in the case of the Mexican National Commission).
The Mexican National Coordinator for the period 2015-2016 is the University of Guadalajara and the UK National Coordinator for the same period is King’s College London.
The Mexican and UK Commissions are responsible for:
- Publishing the annual call and results.
- Selecting 12 national candidates and 12 reserves for the Visiting Chair.
- Planning, implementing and coordinating academic activities within the Chair.
- Disseminating and broadcasting information about activities within the Chair’s framework.
IX. About the selection process
- The Commission will be responsible for verifying the compliance with all the provisions of this call.
- Each National Commission shall submit to the partner country 12 candidates and 12 reserves. The National Commission of the partner country will analyze the profiles of the candidates and determine the selection of the chair holders for each one of the HEI destinations. Selection will be aligned to the interests and priority areas of the HEI of destination.
- Priority will be given to the creation of new links between institutions.
- The Commission will review the documentation, endorse the process and select the beneficiaries based on their academic merit and the strategic interests of each of the participant institutions.
- The results will be announced on 24th June 2016 at 12.00. The final decision of the Committee is definitive and without appeal.
- The information provided in the grant application will be the full responsibility of the applicant. The National Commission reserves the right to exclude anyone from the selection process whose documentation was submitted with incomplete, incorrect or inconsistent data, or if it was submitted after the determined deadlines, or finds any information that is not truthful.
X. Additional provisions
The National Commission will solve any unforeseen matters in this call.
For more information about this call, visit the website: www.visitingchair.cgci.udg.mx
or contact the coordinator at your home institution (See contacts listed on the website)